In 1954 Christopher Fenwick joined his boyhood best friend Guy Powell in the engineering partnership that is today Powell Fenwick.
In 1962 the company, then known as Powell Fenwick & Partners, moved to The Press building. A few years later, in 1967, Barry Ramsay joined the company as a graduate structural engineer. Two years later he left to study the post-graduate diploma of the Imperial College in London. This opportunity lead to Barry’s research into seismic design which he used to design the first building in Christchurch to have specific seismic design. Barry returned to Powell Fenwick in 1971, after the company’s move to the 137 Victoria Street offices, became partner within two years and went on to be Powell Fenwick’s longest serving managing director, after Guy Powell, before retiring in 2003.
In 1979 Powell Fenwick & Partners changed name to become Powell Fenwick Partnership. Later, in 1986, the firm changed its name to Powell Fenwick Consultants, a move made to reflect the directional changes initiated by Barry Ramsay. One year later Powell Fenwick Consultants shifted offices to Amuri Park where they remained until the 2015 shift to 383 Colombo Street. Today Powell Fenwick has 7 disciplines, 6 directors, over 90 staff and in late 2018 opened an office in Queenstown.