St. George's Hospital Redevelopment
Powell Fenwick has been the Structural and all Services engineering consultant for St Georges Hospital for over 17 years. Subsequently, a number of our engineers, across all disciplines, have gained significant expertise in hospital services.
The St Georges Hospital development has so far included the following:
- Four storey clinical blocks
- Day surgery expansion – new theatres
- Day Surgery energy Centre and generators
- Consultant rooms
- Canon Wilford clinical block- theatres and wards
- Multi-storey car park building and consultant rooms
- St George’s Seymour Extension – four-storey, kitchen, CSSD, Wards & Radiology
- New Administration and Entrance block (atrium)
- New Cancer Care Linac Facility
- Theatre refits
- Siteworks and drainage redevelopment.
St. George’s has a number of innovative aspects including an IL4 base isolated design for one of the key buildings, with all services designed to continue operating after a significant earthquake, as well as artesian ground source heating and cooling systems to provide high efficiency heating and cooling. Due to the long operating hours and associated heating and cooling energy demands, the artesian ground source systems were demonstrated to provide a simple payback of 4.5 years when used in conjunction with air source plant providing the required redundancy.